Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

So I have a bright new outlook on life now. My last entry was kind of depressing...and really that was a depressing week with everything crushing down on me, but since then I have had a change in attitude. When I wrote the last entry, I was kind of dreading Thanksgiving because I felt like I had nothing to be grateful for but now I can see the opposite is true. So in no particular order, here are the things in my life that I am grateful to have.

--I am grateful for a second chance. I feel like my marriage to Ryan was something that was rushed into, probably for the wrong reasons. I'm not saying I will ever get married again but if I do, I will at least have learned from this experience and will be able to make the right choice for the right reasons later in my life.

--I am grateful for a return of self esteem. I don't want to rag on him, but there used to be a lot of stuff that I did that Ryan would complain about. Because of that, and other factors, my self esteem plummeted during my marriage. Almost two months after all of this started, I feel like I am myself again. I never really felt comfortable or like I could really be who I was with Ryan. Now I am able to do that and am beginning to love myself again and feel comfortable in my own skin.

--I am grateful for freedom. That might sound terrible, but I absolutely love not having to answer to anyone now. I don't have to explain myself for purchases I make. I don't have to be responsible for someone else's meals or clean clothes or whatever. I only have to worry about myself and don't have to be accountable to someone. I am loving that.

--I am grateful for a new outlook on life. Certain things have changed for me since the divorce. It has been a welcome change. Frankly, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders now. I can be who I am and don't have to do things just to please others. (Again, this is one of those comments that might not make total sense if you don't know the situation, but I promise I will explain soon.)

--I am grateful to be in Boise. I LOVE Boise. It is my home, and always will be. I am loving being back here and being near my mom and closest friends. It's been wonderful.

--I am grateful for the chance I've had to take some time off. I've got enough money to survive until the end of January without a job...it's nice not to have a big ticking time bomb over my head. I have the freedom to take my time to find the right job.

--I am grateful for the things that will happen in the future. What I am speaking of in particular is the chance to get my own apartment. I've never lived by myself before and frankly I can't wait. I'm sure it will get lonely every once in awhile, but I am going to love having my own space and privacy. I have appreciated my mom welcoming me back to her home so willingly, but it will be nice to have a place to do with what I want.

--I am grateful for the chance I've had to reconnect with old friends, and make some new ones. It is such a big world out there and I can't believe how limited my view of it was before. I am excited to meet new people and see new perspectives.

--Most of all, I am grateful for all the support I've gotten the past couple of months. It's meant so much for everyone to offer what they could. I have been shown so much love and concern, which is something that was desperately needed and something I fear I won't ever be able to repay. I just hope you guys now how much it has meant to me to have you by my side.

I could probably ramble on for awhile, but there is a decent list. I had a great Thanksgiving holiday and am now looking forward to an exciting weekend. My mom and I went shopping tonight and I basically finished shopping for everyone on my list except for my sister. Not bad for a day after Thanksgiving. =) I hope all of you had a good day as well and were able to think of the ways your life has been blessed.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Way to go. It must be a wonderful feeling to feel like you can be yourself again and be happy with who you are. I hope things just continue to get better and better!

Monica said...

I always enjoy reading lists of what people are grateful for. They always remind me of what I should be thankful for too. I'm a bit jealous that you get to take some time off and not work! Enjoy it!

Holly said...

I'm so glad that you are doing better! You sound great and I'm glad you are enjoying your newfound freedom!!